Saturday, June 17, 2006

O, beautiful football

Okay, I admit, it took money to get me interested in the game. But, apart from purists, you simply can't watch it alone. It's about fighting for a common cause (even if the cause is the RM100 you bet), it's about finding common ground with each other, united against a foe.

I don't really watch football but the World Cup is different. I was transfixed on the England vs. Trinidad & Tobago match. After 2 matches I've given up on England, but T&T were so frustrating with their purely defensive play. I mean, didn't they hear, the best defence is a strong offense. More importantly, didn't they ever play Warcraft 3? Dudes, you can't turtle up! The attacking side almost always wins.

Look at Netherlands vs. Ivory Coast. Now that was an edge of seat game, especially since the odds were a half goal for the Orange team, and CIV showed more flair for the game. Still, I'm up by 250 football money now. (which is equivalent to RM, unlike monopoly money).

My sister walked in halfway and said "Wow, Argentina scored 6 goals. I think they're gonna win the cup." That was seriously funny okay, but let's see who gets the last laugh.

Two days ago I went for some wine with college friends again. It was a pretty good joint, quiet and tasteful ambience, but shan't tell you where though. It's a dirty little secret ;)

None of us were any good at choosing wine, so we made pretend connoisseurs and chose the nicest-sounding labels, but more than that, it has to be under RM50.

When it was my turn, I selected an Australian blend of Cabernot Sauvignon and Merlot (totally lost on the pronunciation) Bin 888 and the girls were complaining it was too strong. Well, I told them I tried looking for Bin 444 but they thought I was pulling their legs. I am being totally serious. They have a whole series that goes like 444, 555, 777, 888, and 999. I'm not sure if they had a 666, but wouldn't that be really cool? Especially if your waiter was named Damien.

Now, not to be too presumptuous, but what has football and wine got to do with anything?
Answer: they're some of the all-time best distractions.

And after 3 bottles of wine, I tried to explain to my friends the wonders of blogging.

Me: You know, blogging is considered the best form of citizen journalism, simply bec..
Them: What?! How can it be journalism when people write about what they eat, who they slept with, what time they went to the toilet,
Me: Come on, not everyone writes like that!
Them: Oh really? Okay, what do you blog about?
Me: Me..er..well...it's complicated..it's more of my feel..
Them: You write about your sex life, don't you! Ahahaha
Me: I do NOTTT!!
Them: I was reading a friend's blog, and she was going on and on about how she was depressed because she just broke up. Seriously, you tell the world such things?! So..what do you blog about?
Me: ....yeah, like I'm gonna tell you now.

Conclusions: Don't bank on a team simply because it has the world's highest-paid player, and never try to argue with girls high on red wine.

5 Comments:

Blogger Fashionasia said...

I dont watch footy either but Argentina is really good!!! oh wow...

3:19 PM  
Blogger RawR!~ said...

WoO HoO for football fever! Most of the matches were exciting =)

Btw, could I link you? ;p

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol, yes, girls on red wine are ALWAYS right!

And it's Cabernet Sauvignon. ;)

7:52 AM  
Blogger caffeinated said...

FA: oh wow! look at what they're wearing?? haha

hi rawr, yes go ahead :)

well thank you alynna. hey...aren't you underaged for wine? well that's ok, wine is a "cultured" beverage :)

10:54 AM  
Blogger Fashionasia said...

hey.........so mean
:P

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home