Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A drunken soliloquy

I started writing this at a corner of the bar in a loud pub. I wanted to say dingy but I'm in no mood to romanticize anything seeing as how my own romance has shattered just as surely as my own heart.

I feel awful. Awfully sad. Awfully lonely in a crowd of strangers making an awful racket. They call it happy hours but I arrived too late in more ways than one. Someone's doing a pretty good rendition of a Mandarin love song but what did I know. I did mention it was a loud pub. It was dim, and it was smoky, but the hazy ambience might as well have been sunshine to my grief-clouded eyes.

I'm down three-quarters of my three-quarter pint of stout but the escape I sought proved more elusive than I gave credit for. Who am I trying to kid anyway. Everywhere I turn, I see her.

In the pool table at the back of the room, seeming to mock my promise of shooting a few rounds with her, now doomed to forever remain unfulfilled.

In the sashaying miniskirt on the sashaying hips of a woman by whom I made a futile attempt to be distracted, the same denim type I once slid slowly off her.

In the cigarettes littering the bartop, the couple cozying at the back, the laughter, the voices, the pencil I gripped, and the scraps of paper meant for song requests into which I'm now pouring out my soul.

Really, who am I kidding. I needed a stronger drink. I gestured to the bartender for a double shot on ice and took a swig full of Scotland's strongest and misguided hopes. And in a brief moment of clarity, I thought I knew how it felt like having jet fuel poured down my throat.

I looked over at my friend. He's playing a stupid drinking game of dice with the waitress. I almost fancied I saw God playing dice with my feelings. God don't play dice. I know.

My whisky-polluted blood began a preschoolers' percussion concert in my head but it wasn't enough to drown out the questions in my mind.

"What the hell happened?"
"What did I do to make you so pissed at me?"
"Why am I not trying to win you back?"

What do I do now. The world still spins, time runs, but I feel I'm standing still watching the seconds tick by, praying for I know not what. I just know I'll stop writing, pack up these scraps, join my friend for a game, go home, sleep it off, edit what I've written and post it.

This is my life. Words fail me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Words fail us... but we try anyway.
Because sometimes, it's all we have.

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds very melancholic there.. but hey, hang in there while you can. It'll pass. :)

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. Words do not fail you.

Perhaps eloquence and the ability to pour out your heart will be your saving grace.

9:46 PM  
Blogger caffeinated said...

nicely put alynna.

Hi yee, thanks for your kind words.

Hi jackie, wish i shared your optimism. thanks for taking the bother to comment. :)

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home